Tuesday, March 31, 2009

Meet the New Injuns

My last top 5 prospect just signed, so it is time to introduce the future stars. Well, stars could be a loose term for sure.

Deivi Silva - Listed as a 2B in the draft but doesn't stand a chance to play that position what so ever and will one day find him shagging balls at a COF position, hopefully. Reason for drafting - best power hitter available on my board.

Albert Valenzuela - Listed as a catcher and should be a good backup to Bart when the time is right. Not as defensive as I like my catchers but his power numbers will make up for it. I consider him the steal of the 2nd round as I expected him to be taken in the supplemental at the very latest. Reason for drafting - power and defensive numbers capability at the catcher position.

Pascual Zapata - Listed as a SS but will never play there, 3B is gonna be his assigned position. I am hoping he will have what it takes to be a lead off hitter if his temper doesn't get in the way. Reason for drafting - Can play 3B and keep other 3B's busy with his hitting style.

Lonnie Dipoto - Listed as a SP in the draft. Could make the ML roster in the pen, will at least get to projections if all goes well and make AAA. Reason for drafting - probably was best pitcher left on my board.

Brendan Connelly - Listed as a 3B in the draft and will be great in the minors chasing fly balls at a COF spot. Has very little chance at making my ML roster but will help out minor league pitchers with his power numbers. AA is probably as far as he will advance. Reason for drafting - Crucial need for power hitters in the minors.

Enrique Rosario - Listed as a 1B in the draft. Normally I don't hold much hope after the 5th pick, but he has a chance to find a bench spot somewhere if not with the Indians. Reason for drafting - best player on my board at the time.

The next 6 or 7 picks will probably make it to AA at the least. IMO that makes my draft A-1 in my books.

Not to be out done, while everyone was getting over signing their picks and what not, the Injuns snuck in an IFA to go along with the draft. How this happened I am not sure.

Virgil Lee - Listed as a 1B, with his addition, makes the Rookie team pretty impressive in the position department. Not a true power hitter or speed guy but does have the qualifications to be a very good singles and doubles hitter as he hits to the defensive gaps and could very well hit #2 in anyones lineup. Did he get away because his power was light making his OVR low? If he had Enrique Rosario's power, he would easily been listed as an upper 70's or low 80's and that won't stop him from finding a ML spot.

No comments: