Saturday, May 10, 2008

Arbitration and Free Agent.....egads!

Arbitration players are vets that want a big payday and you as the GM get to decide if you are gonna give it to him or not. When you look at the arbitration eligible players it gives you their stats and the amount for a single season. Negotiate long term is what the player and agent is wanting for 2 or more seasons. Here is my feelings on this subject: I have tried the single season and in my estimation the player doesn't exactly put his heart into it and seems to not live up to his potential. You can call me all wet on that one, but that is my take on it. If I really want the player, I will give his long term asking price and I figure that price into the budget. I will not give any player a long term contract that will put his age past 34 unless he is really really good, then I might make it 35. So I only negotiate long term with players 30 and under and usually make it a 3 to 5 year contract (and usually try for 5). For players 31 and over I will go with a 2 or 3 year contract if available, otherwise he will be released to Free Agency (and I do that before arbitration hearings start). I have never been able to sign a player to a 1 year contract without going to arbitrate and it cost me more than the asking price (not much more). You can try and offer the player a contract for less than his asking price in long term negotiations, I have never had that work by the way. I have arbitrated for the 70% asking price and won and have lost also to where it cost me $500,000 more per season than the asking price originally. The 70% one, might as well have went the 1 year plan as I got the same results, can we say a happy but unhappy player...grrrr..and both found a happy trade before all-star break. So, after that fiasco, I either give the long term asking price or they find Free Agency real fast if I can't trade them before the arbitrate deadline.

Team Free Agent players (Restricted Free Agents would be a better term) are roster players that have 6+ years of experience and not on the 40-man roster. You can negotiate with these players until the deadline without interference from other clubs. If your going to negotiate a large contract with these players, you best put them on the 40-man roster or they will be exposed to the Rule V draft. Whether to offer these players is totally up to you, most of them are for the minimum salary and adds up to peanuts. Me, I usually sign all the minimum salary players and hope they don't get grabbed in Rule V, because one can never have too many minor league players. If you don't offer a contract, they will become unrestricted Free Agents and anyone can sign them.

Free Agents can be signed once the Restricted Free Agency period is over. This allows you to go out and fill holes in your teams. Remember that you can be bidding against other owners also, more like an auction. One thing to be aware of is Free Agent type (Type A thru D, sort of a Unrestricted Restricted Free Agent), this is marked in the note section of the player so read it carefully!!!! Depending on the type, you could be giving up a first or second round draft pick and a supplemental 1st round pick (and I hate those!!) to sign that player.

No comments: