Sunday, July 19, 2009

Injun Happenings

There are several things to discuss about the Injuns this season. I was pretty sure going into this season that the Injuns was a playoff team. They don't fear the North teams or Houston (more on that later) and have had good success against them this season. Normally the Injuns jump out early and Atlanta has to play catch up and usually do by game 110. This year the Injuns can win at home, but on the road they play like a little league team. Last year they learned how to win at home, so that part I can understand. The road had me frustrated to no end for the longest time. I said the answer was far fetched and it is, but it works for me. I never figured it out fully until All-Star break. It just seems that every season in this world is different and hard to get a handle on till it is too late.

Can the Injuns get into the playoffs this year? The answer to that is elusive of course. It depends on quite a few things. The chances of a wild card could be out of the question but have suddenly raised their ugly heads in that realm. The division on the other hand is still within sight. Atlanta has the most gruesome schedule coming shortly that I have ever seen, they play every playoff capable team there is back to back. If they can withstand that challenge, they deserve the title. Trenton has a relatively easy schedule comparatively but still not all that easy and could fall. The Injuns schedule is actually tougher than Trenton's. The Injuns only have the Pirates and Reds on the road, which is better than playing them at home. That probably sounds funny to you. With only the Cubs and KC as the big home foes. KC will be in for a big surprise even though the Injuns were 0-6 in KC, KC needs to fear going east however. The Cubs is a crap shoot by the way. As for the rest, there are plenty of scalps to be taken and I do expect to be over .500 before the dust settles.

As for Houston, like I said, I had figured out the far fetched answer, the last meeting with them should have been a sweep. However, an injury to my starting pitcher two outs too soon was the demise in the second game as I had it won. Injuries was the biggest contributor to last years team falling short and they weren't even to ML starters. This year is another story, now, down two starting pitchers could be detrimental in the end. I don't have anything in the minors to help this year and that is a problem.

I saw a chance to remedy the injury problem with a trade before the deadline, but we couldn't see eye to eye. Then a possibility or two with an after the deadline trade for a good starter and took my chances. When the mail showed up I was delighted with who I had a shot at and a possible trade. But alas, that went out the window with a blocking action that left me puzzled and it wasn't OKC, although they were in the mix. A second chance though was by a team that didn't have what I needed and the player they wanted would have hurt them more than they know.

No comments: