Friday, July 31, 2009

Preseason Guess to Ending Reality

With 1 game to go, most of the playoff races are over but one and a couple final seeding races still exist. I decided to write this now because I have the time today and maybe not later. So how did the preseason predictions hold up?

AL North

I had St. Louis winning the division in the preseason and Toronto second. With one game to go, one of the two will win the division. I also said it would be a three team race and was not disappointed.

AL East

Dover wins the East and Philly was second as predicted. The Yanks did better than I expected staying close. How long will it be before the new Yankee stadium be used along with the jet stream to right center?

AL South

Everyone knew it would be between Monterrey and Durham. I gave Monterrey the nod because of the move from Santa Fe to Durham.

AL West

Anaheim is a tough place to play and I wasn't sure the team was good enough to win there. Knuck understood the reasoning behind the decision, but he was right in the end. Las Vegas is another place that is actually tough to play in. I thought Omaha was ready to win it this season but I was sadly mistaken.

NL North

I had the Reds in first with the Pirates third but in the playoff guess, Pittsburgh was my surprise team and I wasn't disappointed with the Reds being the first wild card. Lo and behold what a guess that was. Milwaukee was the most surprising team as I didn't expect them in the playoffs.

NL East

I thought the Beans would be in first again, big surprise here even though I had the Ball Hogs in the playoffs as the division winner (was I hedging bets here?). As for the Indians, several things went wrong early in the season and losing three of your best pitchers for most of the season didn't help, but still finished in the hunt in second place.

NL South

The two steppers beat out the merengue this season as expected. This is the only division that I got absolutely right, though the AL North could be right yet.

NL West

I didn't exactly expect KC to be that tough in their new park. It is tough going from a plus homer stadium to a negative one with a power offense but they did it well. Note to Vancouver, try Salem or Seattle as West stadiums are a premium.

No comments: