Friday, September 25, 2009

Season 13 Draft Commentary

Since most found this draft rather bad, I have decided to do the review a different way. I really didn't find the draft all that bad as I have seen much worse. Was more strange than bad. To start, there were almost as many supplemental picks than actual 1st round picks. There is a lesson to learned from that as many of those sandwich picks were owned by winning GM's. However, was there value in their extra draftees for what they gave up?

Just like the trade I did with Milwaukee, I had to think about that one for a bit, as Huang will be a FA next season and probably a Type A. He didn't want to resign and he never played to his potential in Cleveland either. I got a good player that was actually a big upgrade at another position that I really needed badly and I didn't have to pay any money this season or next.

As the Indians looked over their draft board initially. I was surprised as many others were I imagine that there wasn't many outstanding position players and few good ones either. Since we didn't spend any money on college, that should have meant that High School was loaded. Even odder was the fact that I came up with 13 pitchers, mostly starters, that had first round potential. I was really aiming for a setup type when I ranked them, but actually got a low end starter with the 23rd pick which was a surprise and better than the setup man I figured I was going to get. I really didn't have a position player I would have considered first round material except for a catcher that was drafted 12th. The better part was my next two picks, I actually picked up two position players that was in the top 4 on my board. Either they were not on other teams boards or other teams had different plans I am not sure, but it made me happy. Though I didn't consider either one as first round picks, I did consider them supplemental or early second round picks. To me they were better selections than those drafted before them by a long shot.

No comments: