Friday, December 12, 2008

Analyze Analyze Analyze

So your having trouble and your not sure what the problem is. The answer could be a couple clicks away without realizing it. Remember in the previous post I talked about having a notebook with an encyclopedia of information? Well that notebook is available by the way, one just has to analyze what it is telling you. Analyzing the information is the tough part. At the beginning of the season it is useless until about the 25th game, that gives time for players to settle down to most of their norms. Well, it is game 30 and it is time to start using the info and the part of your brain that seldom gets used.

I just came off a very tough 6 game schedule. At Santa Fe and a home series against the Cubs. It is always tough to play against the Heat in their home park, especially when your team is not hitting well. I was surprised that my pitching staff held out in the first two games. The 3rd game I had the wrong starting pitcher, my fault, well, not really, I was out of options, because I had to prepare for the Cubs. The Cubs actually got ambushed at the Jake. It should have been a sweep and a hit by Jackson or Dong would have provided that. But, alas, the game went to extra innings and with no bench the inevitable occurred in the 10th, thankfully.

Now I have 3 games at Scottsdale and 3 games at Pittsburgh. What is the first thing to look at? The ballpark itself of course. Davis park is for hitters, got that covered I hope. Is the defense set for the park? Not really, but it is time to rest a player here and there so I am kind of giving up a little defense at 2B. How about pitching? Well it is set accordingly, whether that turns into wins is another story.

So what do I use to fine tune the pitching staff? Statistics and brain power, ok, so the last part may be a little weak..lol. But the info is there if you just take the time to look for it. Those stat pages are there for a reason, it is time to look those over the day before playing to align your team and just don't look at totals, you need to look at home and away. What batters do I need to be aware of? Angel Maduro, Lou Forest and Quilvio Martin for the most part. And what about your own? Do you need to adjust the lineup to take advantage?

For the opener in pitching he is throwing Yankee Redneck Bobby Ray Fox at me. He is a decent GB pitcher but his stats at home are undesirable and my offense should eat him alive. Notice, I said should, doesn't mean it will happen. I am pitching Hub Strange, also of dubious quality, especially over rated. But why? As his name implies, he is a strange one. He doesn't pitch all that great at home where things are rather neutral, but tends to do well in hitters parks. I tend to think it may have something to do with control, but it is only a guess. This is where a PC catcher comes in handy. What will happen is only a guess.

But who will he pitch the next game? You can get that by looking at the depth charts most generally. Accordingly it will be the young Tomas Valdez, whom I will have more trouble with than Fox in my opinion then Vic Lee. Now it is back to the stats again to determine if I can change the rotation to try and match up better.

More to the point also, time to analyze the minors also. Are you looking for a certain type of hitter? Maybe you need a defensive player? Maybe a pitcher. Time to use those stats and see if one can help your ML team. I have a short bench, actually I have an open slot. Hasn't really caused much of a problem as of yet, well that loss to the Cubs was a direct result. But I am waiting on two players in the minors. I am just not sure which one or if any will actually help. I really don't want to bring Max back to the majors, but may have to in the end. I am kind of waiting for inter-divisional play to make my choice. Or maybe a trade, maybe Max and one of those two young guns for a defensive SS...hmmm

No comments: