Tuesday, December 23, 2008

Draft Thoughts

This years draft pool was something else entirely. When I first looked at it I was happy to say the least. The past drafts I had been focused on the deep need for pitching, this one I wasn't in that deep need. The first thing on my shopping list was an All-Star power hitting defensive PC catcher. That in itself is the toughest thing to get other than a true number one starting pitcher. Well, the one available was a power hitter, but my scouts actually showed me he was only a DH in disguise. The best DH could actually play 1B, not well but adequate. Now what does one do. The next thing to look at was a SS of course, well, their there are some hitters, but not even close enough to play the position, CF the same way. Next was 2B, yup, the best player on my board and can play CF to boot. Odds of falling to 17th is slim and none. Then there was of course some 1B and COF of questionable defensive abilities available that are power hitters. So this is my top players that were 80 and above and my thoughts on them.

1. Ivan Johnson - Wow, surely the scouts are fibbing, a player like this doesn't exist. I kicked him because of that, if they were telling the truth he would go in the first 5 picks anyway. I was right, number 1.
2. Torey Caminiti - A number two starting pitcher at best but still real good. A top 5 pick anyway. Went number 2.
3. Alex Manzanillo - A power hitting SS. Defensively not a SS, but a real strong 2B or 3B and good hitting skill. Another top 5 pick. Went number 7, maybe not on a lot of upper boards.
4. Curtis Farrell - Best position player on my board in my opinion, so what if he is a little weak against lefties, he is a GG 2B or CF. Went number 10.
5. Steve Ruffin - Decent hitting, can't play 2B well enough, so it would be 1B/LF. To me is is overrated so down the list he goes. Went 12th.
6. George Obermueller - A pitcher, are we sure? Come on scouting. Doesn't really have the pitches for a SP, could this be the "red herring" player? Kicked him out. Drafted 9th.
7. Clarence Valentin - Can hit some and play 2B but not SS as listed. Drafted 18th.
8. Murray Ramsey - What a power hitter! And can play 1B! Too bad he has the health of a grasshopper in winter and got kicked out. Drafted 6.
9. Willie Thompson - Listed as a LF but can only play 1B. A little light on contact maybe for an outstanding power hitter. Drafted 49th. Not sure why he fell so low myself.
10. Phil Houston - Listed as a 2B, not in my books, RF at best. Good non power hitter. Drafted 5th.
11. Daryl Duncan - Hmmmm, Listed as a DH but may be a weak 1B, but what a hitter. Drafted 27th.
12. Jay Richard - Listed as a SS, maybe as a backup, better qualified as weak 3B and even better 2B. Not the greatest hitting ability. Drafted 21st.

Well, I didn't end of with any of those players and probably should have. Why not? Because I started with the best 3 pitchers on my board. Low and behold I got one of them. Funny this draft, I only had five pitchers in my top 25 and got two of them with the first 2 picks. The second one an accident, I forgot to drop him down lower. But then it wouldn't have mattered, would have picked him regardless of how far he got moved down with my 2nd pick.

No comments: