Saturday, August 29, 2009

1-Run Games

I am not sure if there is an actual observable answer to the question. There is no report that can help either. What I can tell you is that teams with a better team defense is usually involved in more 1-run games and most generally have a winning record in 1-run games. I say this after looking over my 6 worlds from last year. All my teams are normally in the top six in team defense and normally have 45+ 1-run games a season and usually with a winning record in 1-run games and extra inning games. I wouldn't say this is definitive but prevalent after looking at all the teams records and defensive standings in each world.

Whether you win or lose these games by 1-run gets real complicated. It could be the pen, the starters, the bench or managerial settings. Of course your opponent also for that matter in the same respect.

For an example: In one of my worlds I have a Cy Young pitcher, when he pitches the game usually ends up as a 1-run game. The reason, my team never hits when he pitches and I have no clue as to why, it just happens. I also had a team last year that was 21-6 in 1-run games early in the season, but finished 25-20 at the end of the season. I have my own special theory on that one btw.

So to say anything more about 1-run games is actually a crap shoot. The best thing to do is look at the box scores and see how the 1-run game came about and adjust if necessary or possible.

No comments: