Monday, August 17, 2009

Push/Pull

There is no way of obtaining a report the easy way, the only way it can be done (as far as I know) is to plot where a player hits the ball from the box score the best you can, and trust me it is a pain (I did it with 2 players and I won't do it again). I wouldn't exactly say it precludes to more or less hits per say to answer your question but maybe the type of hit. A good example of how the push/pull ratings can work with park factors is to look at the Las Vegas stats home vs away, the home run totals will give the answer.

What I can tell you about the player I made an example of, Hideki Huang had 657 plate appearances and 598 AB's. I showed him with 10 more PA's and 20 less AB's, didn't say I could be accurate. He also got on base 28 times via error, 12 were to SS, 6 were to 2B, 2 to the pitcher and the rest were spread around. He made contact 363 times that I recorded, of those he hit to the corresponding push/pull rating 241 times (a little over 66%). It says he had 41 doubles, I had only 38 all but 5 went to the designated spot but only one of the 4 triples. His 14 homers which seems accidental went everywhere. He had better success in neutral parks (.310 BA) as opposed to plus (.265 BA) or minus parks (.225 BA). As for whether the hits was over the infielders head or out of reach can be debated. Though I can tell you that 47 of his hits went through under rated SS's and 28 went through under rated 2B's and that was almost half his hit total. As for the type of pitcher (power vs movement), it was more or less a draw and he had more success against starters as opposed to relievers and that is due to player rest.

No comments: