Tuesday, June 1, 2010

The AL

The AL North

I really had to look very closely at the teams here in the North. Last year it was a race between Minnesota and Toronto as predicted. This year could be an all out war between all four teams.

Minnesota - I am giving them a very tentative nod to win the division.

Detroit and Seattle both have vastly and I mean vastly improved and either could surprise.

Toronto - I am not saying they are out of the loop but there is something about the makeup of the team that just doesn't gel in my eyes this year.

I am going out on a limb and picking Minnesota with Detroit, Seattle and Toronto on their heels all tied for second. How is that for a race.

The AL East

Syracuse got the lead last year and refused to surrender it. Can they repeat this year? They spent money to support the pen. Boston more or less stood pat while Dover spent tons on Rodrigo. Washington got better from the farm.

I still pick Syracuse, as they are still strong for a likely repeat.

Boston will contend and make a close second again.

Dover helped the offense but pitching may not be good enough.

Washington will be much better but I don't think the pitching is good enough to contend just yet.

The AL South

Last year it was Durham with Austin coming out of the woodwork to claim second place. I really didn't see that happening. Durham lost a lot this year, so can they keep their stranglehold on the South?

I am picking Austin this year because the pitching is much better IMO.

Kansas City rolls in as a very close second.

I chose Durham third last year and got beat up about it and I don't have any qualms doing it again.

Tampa Bay continues to improve but not enough to contend this year.

The AL West

When the dust settled last year Helena found themselves in first with a frustrated Las Vegas second. Will it change this year? I am here to tell you that Oakland and Anaheim didn't sit around sucking their thumbs. Like the AL North this could very well be another free-for-all.

I am picking Helena because they look like the deeper team on all sides of the ball.

The rest are all tied for second as I can't distinguish them apart.

How will it end in the AL is anyones guess actually but my guess is this.

#1 - Austin
#2 - Syracuse
#3 - Minnesota
#4 - Helena
#5 - Detroit
#6 - Oakland

Just about anyone and everyone could be contention for the wild card spots, so it will be a wild and woolly affair.

No comments: