Wednesday, May 15, 2013

Errfdogg Memorial League History Series - Owner Tenure

My recent post regarding owner's winning percentages got me thinking about the history of this world.  I'm going to try to post some articles over the next few weeks talking about some of the history of this world, but I figured I should start at my beginning in this world.

I joined this world in season 8, having never played HBD before.  Like many owners at WIS, I had read an article by the Sports Guy talking about Sim Baseball and I had checked that out, but I didn't love it.  HBD sounded more like something I would really like, having played Rotisserie Baseball and fantasy football and basketball since 1991.  I saw a post in the forums by Erffdogg for the MLB world and asked him if I could join.  He was reticent to take a newbie, but I gave him my history of fantasy sports and that I was a long-time commissioner of my fantasy baseball league.  He let me join and although I've played in other worlds, this world has always been my favorite.  It is the camaraderie of the owners that make this world great.  Erffdogg passed away in the middle of season 16.  We renamed the world in his memory and I really think that continuing this world in a positive way is a motivation for the owners who played with Erffdogg.  Like most people, I didn't know Erff outside of this game, but his passion for the game is his legacy to this world.

If you look at the tenure of the current owners in this world, it breaks down as follows:

OwnerSeason Joined
dilo1
northerngaul1
josepaco *2
dpj01222
VegasBombers2
SLOBS2
sjr4564
cmchristians4
edham554
firesign345
yoker706
boydndahood/KJD6
chase397
wholck *8
thomas36is8
davisbrian9
dhyatt1080 *9
mal24712
dakar *13
tylermathias14
pfontaine14
kpmarti17
wrecks18
robertbaron18
aireball319
sjpratt19
luckystrike20
brucehearse23
jrockers23
lemmiwinks25
brianj000013 *25
victoryava26

As you can see, since Erffdogg's passing, 21 of the owners that were a member of this world continue to play.  I may have missed an owner that moved from one franchise to another.  I knew Yoker did that and accounted for that in the chart.

The world has been very stable.  A lot of the stability can be credited to Dilo, who, after Erffdogg, is the best commissioner of any world in which I have played.  I think the rest of the credit should be given to the owners in general, especially Firesign for his incredible work on the blog, and owners like Josepaco, SJR, VL, mal247, kpmarti, brucehearse, and Dilo, who make the chat board the best chat board in HBD.  I honestly intend to keep playing in this world for the rest of my life, as long as this core group of owners stays.  In my opinion, it's the best group of owners on WIS. 

I look forward to putting together some interesting articles about the history of this world in the coming weeks.  If anyone would like to suggest a topic, send it to me via trade chat.



No comments: